Children’s Aid Foundation of Ottawa
The Children’s Aid Foundation of Ottawa (CAFO) Camp for Kids Program – provides children and youth with a week-long summer camp experience. Children attend various camps across the region (i.e. YMCA camps, City of Ottawa camps, Camp Smitty).
Camp for Kids Outcomes for children and youth include the following:
- Develops stronger leadership and social skills
- Builds self-confidence and life skills
- Creates positive memories and friendships
- Having fun in a less stressful environment
- Helps strengthen the relationship between the CAS protection worker and the family they are helping
- Using it as an admission prevention tool
“I loved getting away from the outside world and getting closer to nature and making new friends!”
– Alexia, 13 yrs old.
“I met lots of people that I’m still friends with now and I have felt that camp changed me spiritually and personally. I think that ever since camp I have been more confident in trying new things and talking to people. My family and friends have seen a great change in me and I thank you for helping me out.”
– Emma, 15 yrs old.
“I have been working with this family where the mother is schizophrenic and was addicted to drugs. We have been involved for 2 years. During this period, and 8 year old girl has had the opportunity to attend camp last summer. She has never attended camp before and is thankful that she had the chance to go.
The mother has been sober for over a year now. The mother and her daughter both told me recently how I had made a difference in their life. They told me that they appreciated what the Society has done for them, a highlight being going to camp”.
– CAS Child Protection Worker